Press and News
Village Harvest, our volunteers, and our events have been featured frequently in local newspapers and publications. Here are some highlights:
- San Jose Mercury News Filoli's heirloom orchard is overlooked no longer October 24, 2013
- Washington Post Volunteers pick excess fruit ... Photo Gallery of Apricot Harvest at Guadalupe Historic Orchard, San Jose. June 26, 2013
- San Jose Mercury News 'Urban Harvesting' takes root in Bay Area June 19, 2013
- Davis Enterprise Village Harvest:Reaping the suburban bounty June 2, 2013
- Cupertino recognizes Village Harvest with a proclamation at the May 7 council meeting and video of the April harvest of the historic Stocklmeir Orchard May 7, 2013
- Village Harvest and leader Craig Diserens recognized as a "Local Hero" for community service by the Midpeninsula Community Media Center of Palo AltoMarch 18, 2012. (YouTube Video)
- Davis volunteer Greg Gibbs recognized by the Sacramento Bee "I Care:Community Heroes"Feb. 12, 2012
- "Helpful Harvest" article on the 5,000+ pound plum harvest in Gilroy, California; in the Gilroy Dispatch newspaper August 26, 2010.
- Founder and Executive Director Joni Ohta Diserens and Village Harvest profiled in Family Circle magazine August 2010 "3 Women Whose Gardens Changed Lives."
- "Sharing the Bounty" in Eucalyptus Magazine, August 2010
- "Volunteers from Village Harvest ..." about picking the "King grapefruit tree." Cupertino Courier July 12, 2010.
- Low Hanging Fruit: How Local Gleaning Groups Prevent Food Waste and Feed the Hungry . A profile including Village Harvest, Harvest Sacramento, and the Portland Fruit Tree Project, www.alternet.org, March 4, 2010.
- "It Takes a Village: Harvesting the bounty growing in backyard gardens." Village Harvest featured on the ABC Television national LiveWellHD Network "Save My Planet" show, first aired Jan. 29, 2010. Filmed at a persimmon harvest in November 2009 with volunteers and founder Joni Diserens.
- Village Harvest Davis harvesting leads Liz Fitzgerald and Maggie Lickter were interviewed about Gleaning on Davis radio KDVS's program "Local Dirt." Available on the web here; their interview begins about 27 minutes into the program. January 11, 2010.
- Take Your Pick - South County volunteers pick produce from donated orchards for local food banks, Morgan Hill Times, January 8, 2010.
- Fruitful Endeavor - Village Harvest gets backyard fruit to the hungry - in spite of quarantine, Silicon Valley Community Newspapers; Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Willow Glen, Almaden, Cambrian editions, June 29 and July 22, 2009.
- Gleaner groups save the fruit, feed the hungry, VH Davis spotlight in the Sacramento Bee, July 11, 2009
- Davis branch of nonprofit collects excess fruit from residents, feeds hungry, Davis Enterprise newspaper, July 3, 2009
- Village Harvest Profile in the San Jose Mercury News June 24, 2009
- Village Harvest in the Food and Society 2009 Conference Video , Q&A with Founder Joni Diserens April 21, 2009
- Village Harvest on national TV: NBC Nightly News November 29, 2008
- Village Harvest in The New York Times September 14, 2008
2007 and earlier
- How does your Garden Grow?, Tri Valley Herald, January 8, 2007
- Give Thanks Like the Pilgrims, Mt. View Voice, November 17, 2006
- Volunteers Pick Backyard Trees to Help Needy, KPIX Channel 5 News, August 29, 2006
- Village Harvest, the California Report on KQED, August 25, 2006
- You Are What You Eat, Metro Silicon Valley, May 24, 2006
- Winter Fruit in Abundance, Berkeley Daily Planet, Tuesday, November 15, 2005
- Berkeley: Backyard Bounty Feeds the Hungry, San Francisco Chronicle, Friday, August 26, 2005
- Fruitful Project Helps the Needy, Homeowners also benefit from program that harvests backyard bounty, San Francisco Chronicle, Friday, August 26, 2005
- Backyard Bounty Doesn't Need To Go To Waste, Los Altos Town Crier, August 17, 2005
- Campbell's Bounty, Campbell Reporter, July 20, 2005
- Good Neighbor Gardens, San Jose Mercury News, June 3, 2005
- Thousands will enjoy Stocklmeir Oranges, Cupertino Courier, June 1, 2005 (article no longer available)
- Still Hungry: A new community-based movement called 'community food security' is revolutionizing the way this country tackles its growing hunger problem. But is Silicon Valley getting left behind?, Metro Silicon Valley, April 20, 2005
- It Takes a Village Metro Silicon Valley, March 23, 2005
- Afghan women taught ins and outs of canning: South Bay official creates program in war-torn Kabul, SF Chronicle, January 15, 2005
- Let's Jam: Neighbors gather for Carroll's jam session, Campbell Reporter, November 24, 2004. (Link no longer available).
- The Fruits of Community Labor, Palo Alto Weekly, July 28, 2004
- Growing then giving, from farms and backyards, community groups harvest excess for the hungry, San Francisco Chronicle, July 19, 2004
- Unused Homegrown Fruit Feeds Hungry, ABC 7 News, June 2, 2004 (no longer on the web).
- Hitachi Harvesting its Orchards for the Hungry, Silicon Valley Biz Ink, August 29, 2003
- Sweet Harvest, San Jose Mercury News, July 18, 2003
- Village Harvest Volunteers, Partners in Feeding the Hungry, Guadalupe Gardens Newsletter, Summer 2003 (excerpt). (pdf, 63kB)
- Scotts Give Back to Grow Awards 2005
Good Neighbor Gardener of the Year - Finalist
- California State Assembly Certificate of Appreciation
in honor of Village Harvest's ongoing support of Second Harvest Food Bank's gleaning efforts
- Harvest 365: Fruit Growing and Harvesting Year Round, Planet on Your Plate, October 25, 2003 (pdf, 3.8mB)
- Gleaning Fresno's Bounty, Transcript from 31st Hunger and Nutrition Program, Fresno Metro Ministry, March 12, 2003.
For those who have asked if they can print flyers to pass out to friends and neighbors:
- Homeowner Flyer Adobe Acrobat (pdf, 79kB) version you can print. It is double sided and needs to be cut down the middle.
- Drop-off Locations for those who are physically able and have a moderate (150 lbs or less) amount of fruit. Adobe Acrobat version you can print. It is double sided.
- Village Harvest Fact Sheet for a summary facts and figures for media use.